The Best Lithium Batteries for Trolling Motors
Nov 30, 2023
Do you love spending time out on the water going fishing? Maybe you use an electric trolling motor to move your boat around the lake. Picking the right battery to run your trolling motor is super important. There are different types of batteries, like lead-acid and lithium-ion. This article will help you figure out which kinds work best.
In this article, we will talk about battery options for trolling motors. We will compare lithium batteries to older battery types. We will also look at things to consider when picking a battery. Finally, we will give some battery recommendations. By the end, you'll know which lithium batteries are best for your fishing boat!
Types of Batteries Commonly Used in Trolling Motors
Two main types of batteries are used in trolling motors - lead-acid and lithium. Lead-acid batteries have been around the longest. They are inexpensive but also heavy. Lithium batteries are newer but have significant benefits over lead options.
Lead-acid batteries use chemical reactions between lead plates and acid to store power. They are affordable and available anywhere. But lead-acid batteries are very heavy, taking up space on your boat. They also lose power when not fully charged. Compared to lithium, lead batteries need more maintenance, such as regular water checks. While reliable, lead batteries could weigh you down and not last all day.
Lithium batteries store power through reactions between lithium ions and graphite. This makes them much lighter than lead batteries. Lithium batteries also charge faster than lead batteries. They maintain power even when partially drained, unlike lead batteries. Lithium batteries last much longer with less maintenance, too. Overall, lithium offers great advantages over lead batteries.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Lithium Batteries
Lightweight and Compact
Lithium batteries can be up to 4 times lighter than lead batteries. This frees up space on your boat. The cells are also smaller, so lithium battery packs take up less room.
Lithium batteries don't lose power when partly drained, like lead batteries. Their power stays strong throughout their charge. Lithium batteries can hold a charge for much longer if you don't use them right away.
Fast Charging Capabilities
Lithium batteries charge way quicker than lead batteries. A full charge could take just 4-6 hours compared to 8-12 hours for a lead! This means more fishing time for you.
Lithium batteries don't use toxic lead or acid. They are reusable and recyclable too, making them an eco-friendly option.
The main disadvantage is lithium batteries usually cost more upfront. But their long lifespan makes them better value in the long run.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Lithium Battery for Your Trolling Motor
With so many lithium battery options, what should you look for? Here are some key factors:
Battery Capacity (Ah)
Check the battery's Amp-hour (Ah) rating. This tells you how much power it can hold. For most fishing boats, go for at least 100 Ah for all-day power.
Trolling motors run on 12 or 24 volts. Make sure the battery voltage matches your motor. Some bigger motors may need dual batteries for more power.
A lighter weight is better for balancing your boat. Under 25 lbs is a good target weight.
Size and Form Factor
Consider the battery dimensions and shape to fit your boat's space. Lithium batteries come in different shapes, so find one perfect for your space.
Top Picks: The Best Lithium Batteries for Trolling Motors
GoldenMate Lithium Battery LifePO4 12V 100AH
This battery offers a long-lasting and eco-friendly lithium iron phosphate battery solution. It is safer, lighter, and more versatile than traditional lead-acid batteries. Its high cycle life and expansion capability make it suitable for various applications.
Key Features and Specifications
- 12V 100Ah lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery
- Grade A LiFePO4 cells for high quality, energy density, stable performance, and power
- 4000+ cycles at 100% Depth of Discharge (DOD)
- Built-in Battery Management System (BMS). This protects against overcharging, over-discharging, over-current, overheating, and short-circuiting.
- Lightweight at only 28.7 lbs
- Long lifetime of 10 years compared to 3 years for lead-acid batteries
- High cycle life - up to 6000 cycles at 80% DOD and 15000 cycles at 60% DOD
- Eco-friendly with no toxic materials like lead or acid
- Memory effect free for reliable charging and discharging
- Low maintenance and self-discharges slowly, enabling storage for 1 year after full charge
- Supports expansion to build larger 48V 400Ah battery systems
- Safer to use indoors or outdoors
- More cost-effective in the long run
GoldenMate Lithium Battery LifePO4 12V 20AH
This battery offers a safe, durable, and versatile power solution for various applications. It has a stable LiFePO4 chemistry and a lifespan of over ten years. Weighing only 5.3 lbs, it is lightweight yet powerful.
Key Features and Specifications
- Capacity: 20Ah
- Voltage: 12V
- Cycle life: Over 4000 cycles (over 10 years lifetime)
- Charge/Discharge: Supports 100% depth of discharge and state of charge
- Weight: Only 5.3 lbs, 1/10 of a lead acid battery of similar capacity
- Safety certifications: CE, ROHS, FCC certified
- Long lifespan of over 10 years compared to 3-5 years of lead-acid batteries
- High cycle life of over 4000 cycles compared to 200-500 cycles of lead acid
- Extremely safe with stable LiFePO4 cell structure that won't burn or explode
- Top protection with BMS against overcharging, over-discharging, over-current, etc.
- Lighter weight, making it portable for various applications
- Eco-friendly as it contains no heavy metals
Expand your power needs! Switch to our safe, eco-friendly, and high-performance Goldenmate batteries. Contact us now to learn more.
Maintenance and Care Tips for Lithium Batteries
Taking good care of your lithium battery helps maximize its lifespan and performance. Some helpful tips include:
Proper storage and charging practices:
- For long-term storage, keep the battery charged between 30-50%.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from heat sources.
- Do not leave batteries in hot cars.
Tips for extending the lifespan of your lithium battery:
- Avoid exposing the battery to high temperatures.
- Do not overcharge or overcharge the battery.
- Use the original charger designed for the battery.
- Check the battery's temperature and voltage during charging. Do not charge the battery in temperatures over 45°C (113°F) or below 0°C (32°F).
Troubleshooting common issues:
If the battery won't charge, it may be drained too low. Allow a full recharge cycle. If there is still no improvement, the battery could be defective. Slow charging or discharging indicates that the battery could be nearing the end of its life. Sudden loss of charge capacity requires replacing the battery soon. Keep batteries cool and stored properly to avoid safety and performance issues.
Following these maintenance steps will keep your lithium battery working optimally. Let us know if you experience any problems. We can help diagnose the issue.
Lithium batteries are gradually becoming the top choice for powering trolling motors. Their lightweight design, all-day power, fast charging, and eco-friendliness beat out lead batteries. Top lithium options are available at GoldenMate Energy. Our batteries offer top performance for fishing at affordable prices. Check out our Trolling Motor Battery Selection to find a lithium battery perfect for you!